The directions for this one seem a little daunting, but don’t worry. These pastries aren’t difficult to make. The process is just a bit lengthy. Regardless, I hope you’ll still try these out! You can substitute the monk fruit sweetener for one of your choice, but be sure to reference a conversion chart. If you decide to experiment and change up the recipe, let me know what you tried, and how it turned out!
Entire batch = 24g net carbs
Separated into 6 pastries, each pastry = 4g net carbs
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ cup dutch-process cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup granular monk fruit sweetener
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup water
- 4 Tbsp. melted butter
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 Tbsp. instant coffee (optional)
- 2 oz. softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup powdered monk fruit sweetener
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients for the pastry (almond flour, dutch-process cocoa powder, monk fruit sweetener, coconut flour, xanthan gum, optional instant coffee). Mix well.
- Add wet ingredients for the pastry into bowl (egg, water, melted butter). Mix well.
- Separate dough in half. Half will be for the top of the pastry and half for the bottom.
- Roll half of the dough onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (The dough should be about ⅛ of an inch thick. If you don’t have a rolling pin, you can do what I did. Spread the dough with your fingers in a rectangular shape onto the baking sheet. Add an additional sheet of parchment paper on top of the dough, and press it flat with another baking sheet.)
- Trim the excess and cut this dough into six smaller rectangles. Place baking sheet with dough into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the remaining dough.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the filling (softened cream cheese, powdered monk fruit sweetener, water).
- Remove the dough from the freezer after 10 minutes, and use a flat metal spatula to separate all dough rectangles. Place six dough rectangles on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In these dough rectangles, add 1 Tbsp. of filling to each and spread it out. (Try to leave a ½-inch border on the dough).
- Place the remaining six rectangles exactly on top of the rectangles that have filling.
- Using a fork, crimp all four edges of each pastry shut.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes and let cool. (If you have any filling left over, you can decorate the top of each pastry).